Partner Organizations against Sex Trafficking is a coalition of non-profit groups based in Palm Beach County, dedicated to preventing sex trafficking in Florida.
Why are we united in addressing this problem? Florida ranks third in the nation in the prevalence of human trafficking victims. Many of these victims are children, whose average age when they are first trafficked is about 12 years old! Our ports and airports are used to traffic victims into the country and our highways are corridors for traffickers. Both labor and sex trafficking occurs not just in Florida’s large cities, but also in our rural areas. We believe that the whole community has to work together to fight this growing problem of a new form of slavery.
Through an active program of awareness, education and advocacy, POAST in its first year has made important inroads in combating human trafficking.
- Awareness posters in English, Spanish and Creole distributed widely
- Post-it Note Campaign to spread word about the National Trafficking Hotline number
- Showed the film Tricked in Lake Worth and Delray Beach
- Worked with the Human Trafficking Coalition of the Palm Beaches to have a School Presentation accepted by the Safe Schools Committee of the Palm Beach County School Board for use in Grades 6-12 and with parents and staff.
- Initiated and advocated successfully for a new Florida law to require the posting of the National Trafficking Resource Center Hotline in key locations throughout the State. This hotline & text number could provide a lifeline to victims!
If you know of a group that would like to join this dynamic coalition, or if you would like more information about any of our activities, please contact: Linda Geller-Schwartz email@example.com or Arlene Davidson firstname.lastname@example.org
COMBATTING HUMAN TRAFFICKING: FLORIDA TODAY
When: Thursday, January 7, 2016 from 9:30 am to 4:00 pm
Location: Atlantis Country Club (190 Atlantis Blvd. Atlantis, FL 33462)
The following are our official partners in 2016: